Dietary and manure management practices on equine farms in two new jersey watersheds

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Scopus citations

Abstract

Equine farms are increasing in number in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states. These farms may influence environmental quality owing to manure collection, storage, spreading, and disposal practices. A manure management survey was mailed to 700 New Jersey equine farms during the winter of 2009-2010 (these farms were located in two watersheds). Two hundred forty-two surveys were returned; 10% were training or performance farms, whereas the remainder (90%) were breeding, boarding, or pleasure farms. There were differences between the two watersheds in turnout time, pasture acreage, use of drag harrows, and income. Respondents answered questions about diet and environmental management on farms. Seventy-eight percent had bunk management plans. Forty-seven percent disposed of waste feed in a manure pile, 35% left it on fields or paddocks, and 18% put it in a dumpster. Twenty-six percent engage a professional for feeding advice (21% veterinarians, 2% extension, 3% nutrition consultants). Most respondents did not have a regular feed management plan. Sixty-two percent of all farms spread manure on-farm. Of those who spread, 29% have >8.09 hectares (20 acres) for spreading. Ninety-six percent of respondents stored manure >100 ft from water or wetlands. Comparison of cross-tabulations indicates a strong relationship (P<.01) between rotational grazing and the use of a sacrifice or exercise area. Eighty-eight percent of respondents using sacrifice areas also rotationally graze. Results indicate future outreach programs should focus on feed management, manure storage location, rotational grazing, and the use of sacrifice areas as part of a pasture management program.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)601-606
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Equine Veterinary Science
Volume33
Issue number8
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 2013

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Equine

Keywords

  • Environment
  • Equine
  • Feeding management
  • Manure management
  • Nutrient management

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Dietary and manure management practices on equine farms in two new jersey watersheds'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this