Genetic linkage map of the eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica Gmelin

Ziniu Yu, Ximing Guo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

105 Scopus citations

Abstract

Amplified fragment length polymorphisms (AFLPs), along with some microsatellite and Type I markers, were used for linkage analysis in Crassostrea virginica Gmelin, the eastern oyster. Seventeen AFLP primer combinations were selected for linkage analysis with two parents and their 81 progeny. The 17 primer combinations produced 396 polymorphic markers, and 282 of them were segregating in the two parents. Chi-square analysis indicated that 259 (91.8%) markers segregated in Mendelian ratio, while the other 23 (8.2%) showed significant (P < 0.05) segregation distortion, primarily for homozygote deficiency and probably due to deleterious recessive genes. Moderately dense linkage maps were constructed using 158 and 133 segregating markers (including a few microsatellite and Type I markers) from male and female parents, respectively. The male framework map consisted of 114 markers in 12 linkage groups, covering 647 cM. The female map had 84 markers in 12 linkage groups with a length of 904 cM. The estimated genome length was 858 cM for the male map and 1296 cM for the female map. The observed genome coverage was 84% for the male and female map when all linked markers were considered. Genetic maps observed in this study are longer than the cytogenetic map, possibly because of low marker density.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)327-338
Number of pages12
JournalBiological Bulletin
Volume204
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 2003

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Agricultural and Biological Sciences(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Genetic linkage map of the eastern oyster Crassostrea virginica Gmelin'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this