Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support

Francois Berthiaume, Arno W. Tilles, Mehmet Toner, Martin Yarmush, Christina Chan

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

Abstract

Approximately 30,000 patients die each year from end-stage liver disease in the United States. About 80% of these patients have decompensated chronic liver disease, typically caused by alcoholism or chronic hepatitic C infection, and less commonly by a genetic - hepatocellular or anatomic - defect of liver function, or cancer. The other 20% die of acute liver failure (without preexisting chronic liver disease), which has various etiologies, including ischemia-reperfusion injury during liver surgery, acetaminophen poisoning, viral hepatitis, severe sepsis, idiosyncratic drug reactions, etc. Acute liver failure symptoms develop over a period of 6 weeks to 6 months and lead to death in over 80% of the cases, usually from cerebral edema, complications due to coagulopathy, and renal dysfunction. A more severe form of acute liver failure - fulminant hepatic failure - is characterized by a more rapid evolution (2 to 6 weeks).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationTissue Engineering
PublisherCRC Press
Pages505-524
Number of pages20
ISBN (Electronic)9781420008333
ISBN (Print)9780849390265
StatePublished - Jan 1 2007
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Acute Liver Failure
Tissue Engineering
Tissue engineering
Liver
Liver Diseases
Chronic Disease
End Stage Liver Disease
Brain Edema
Acetaminophen
Reperfusion Injury
Poisoning
Hepatitis
Alcoholism
Sepsis
Kidney
Infection
Pharmaceutical Preparations
Surgery
Neoplasms
Defects

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Medicine(all)
  • Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology(all)
  • Engineering(all)
  • Materials Science(all)

Cite this

Berthiaume, F., Tilles, A. W., Toner, M., Yarmush, M., & Chan, C. (2007). Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support. In Tissue Engineering (pp. 505-524). CRC Press.
Berthiaume, Francois ; Tilles, Arno W. ; Toner, Mehmet ; Yarmush, Martin ; Chan, Christina. / Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support. Tissue Engineering. CRC Press, 2007. pp. 505-524
@inbook{4ed835bf7795427aafdcfa8e80d25227,
title = "Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support",
abstract = "Approximately 30,000 patients die each year from end-stage liver disease in the United States. About 80{\%} of these patients have decompensated chronic liver disease, typically caused by alcoholism or chronic hepatitic C infection, and less commonly by a genetic - hepatocellular or anatomic - defect of liver function, or cancer. The other 20{\%} die of acute liver failure (without preexisting chronic liver disease), which has various etiologies, including ischemia-reperfusion injury during liver surgery, acetaminophen poisoning, viral hepatitis, severe sepsis, idiosyncratic drug reactions, etc. Acute liver failure symptoms develop over a period of 6 weeks to 6 months and lead to death in over 80{\%} of the cases, usually from cerebral edema, complications due to coagulopathy, and renal dysfunction. A more severe form of acute liver failure - fulminant hepatic failure - is characterized by a more rapid evolution (2 to 6 weeks).",
author = "Francois Berthiaume and Tilles, {Arno W.} and Mehmet Toner and Martin Yarmush and Christina Chan",
year = "2007",
month = "1",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
isbn = "9780849390265",
pages = "505--524",
booktitle = "Tissue Engineering",
publisher = "CRC Press",

}

Berthiaume, F, Tilles, AW, Toner, M, Yarmush, M & Chan, C 2007, Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support. in Tissue Engineering. CRC Press, pp. 505-524.

Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support. / Berthiaume, Francois; Tilles, Arno W.; Toner, Mehmet; Yarmush, Martin; Chan, Christina.

Tissue Engineering. CRC Press, 2007. p. 505-524.

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

TY - CHAP

T1 - Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support

AU - Berthiaume, Francois

AU - Tilles, Arno W.

AU - Toner, Mehmet

AU - Yarmush, Martin

AU - Chan, Christina

PY - 2007/1/1

Y1 - 2007/1/1

N2 - Approximately 30,000 patients die each year from end-stage liver disease in the United States. About 80% of these patients have decompensated chronic liver disease, typically caused by alcoholism or chronic hepatitic C infection, and less commonly by a genetic - hepatocellular or anatomic - defect of liver function, or cancer. The other 20% die of acute liver failure (without preexisting chronic liver disease), which has various etiologies, including ischemia-reperfusion injury during liver surgery, acetaminophen poisoning, viral hepatitis, severe sepsis, idiosyncratic drug reactions, etc. Acute liver failure symptoms develop over a period of 6 weeks to 6 months and lead to death in over 80% of the cases, usually from cerebral edema, complications due to coagulopathy, and renal dysfunction. A more severe form of acute liver failure - fulminant hepatic failure - is characterized by a more rapid evolution (2 to 6 weeks).

AB - Approximately 30,000 patients die each year from end-stage liver disease in the United States. About 80% of these patients have decompensated chronic liver disease, typically caused by alcoholism or chronic hepatitic C infection, and less commonly by a genetic - hepatocellular or anatomic - defect of liver function, or cancer. The other 20% die of acute liver failure (without preexisting chronic liver disease), which has various etiologies, including ischemia-reperfusion injury during liver surgery, acetaminophen poisoning, viral hepatitis, severe sepsis, idiosyncratic drug reactions, etc. Acute liver failure symptoms develop over a period of 6 weeks to 6 months and lead to death in over 80% of the cases, usually from cerebral edema, complications due to coagulopathy, and renal dysfunction. A more severe form of acute liver failure - fulminant hepatic failure - is characterized by a more rapid evolution (2 to 6 weeks).

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85056936189&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85056936189&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Chapter

AN - SCOPUS:85056936189

SN - 9780849390265

SP - 505

EP - 524

BT - Tissue Engineering

PB - CRC Press

ER -

Berthiaume F, Tilles AW, Toner M, Yarmush M, Chan C. Hepatic tissue engineering for adjunct and temporary liver support. In Tissue Engineering. CRC Press. 2007. p. 505-524