Cranberry plants bearing disfigured, scarred fruit were reported by growers in the major cranberry-growing region of central Wisconsin in July 2012. Plants bearing scarred fruit have since been observed in Massachusetts and New Jersey. Three complementary methods provided evidence of Tobacco streak virus (TSV) in symptomatic plants: (i) leaves and scarred berries tested positive for TSV by double-antibody sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay; (ii) quasi-isometric particles approximately 33 nm in diameter were extracted from leaves of symptomatic plants and visualized using transmission electron microscopy; and (iii) coat protein gene sequence analysis revealed 94 to 99% nucleotide similarity with reference TSV sequences. In newer cultivars, 99% of uprights with scarred berries tested positive for TSV. In older cultivars, 31% of uprights with scarred berries tested positive for TSV and the remaining 69% of uprights with scarred berries tested positive for Blueberry shock virus. TSV overwintered in cranberry plants, and leaves, pollen, and fruit tested positive for TSV the year following symptom occurrence. Attempts to inoculate cranberry using infected pollen or sap as inoculum failed, but several herbaceous hosts tested TSV positive following mechanical inoculation. Phylogenetic analysis of the coat protein gene of 26 TSV isolates from various cultivars of cranberry in Wisconsin, New Jersey, and Massachusetts revealed diversity. This work provides information that will be useful in understanding the epidemiology of TSV in cranberry and in the development of management strategies.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Agronomy and Crop Science
- Plant Science